Skip to main content

View Post [edit]

Poster: guyzilla Date: Aug 31, 2009 12:53am
Forum: feature_films Subject: When are files going to be moved?

The reason I'm asking is because there are a lot of files that were uploaded quite some time ago that are still in open source. I'm not here to crack the whip, I'm just trying to find out what's happening. I have three feature films that I put up over a week ago that still haven't been moved and from what I've seen nobody else's stuff is getting moved either. The reason I'm concerned is because I have a lot of trailers that are ready to be put up (about 130 right now) but I'm a little hesitant to start because I don't want to create a bigger backlog for whoever is going to take on the moving tasks. When the films start moving again, those trailers will be waiting.

Reply [edit]

Poster: Moongleam Date: Aug 31, 2009 1:53am
Forum: feature_films Subject: Re: When are files going to be moved?

What's even odder is that the thumbnail pictures and 512kb/s mp4 files aren't being derived. I was sure that that was automatic.

Reply [edit]

Poster: billbarstad Date: Aug 31, 2009 4:23am
Forum: feature_films Subject: Re: When are files going to be moved?

Thumbnails and derived files are there for the two trailers I uploaded and for the three films k-otic uploaded in the last few days.

Reply [edit]

Poster: Moongleam Date: Aug 31, 2009 7:29am
Forum: feature_films Subject: Re: When are files going to be moved?

Thumbnails have NOT been generated for this, which was uploaded last Thursday: http://www.archive.org/details/Virus_movie If the process happens automatically (without human intervention), then what is the explanation?
This post was modified by Moongleam on 2009-08-31 14:29:10

Reply [edit]

Poster: k-otic Date: Aug 31, 2009 7:26am
Forum: feature_films Subject: Re: When are files going to be moved?

Plus sometimes they do look weird :)
http://ia301535.us.archive.org/0/items/SistersofDeath/SistersofDeath.thumbs/SistersofDeath_001440.jpg

maybe you need to re-derive that movie again ?!

Reply [edit]

Poster: guyzilla Date: Aug 31, 2009 8:57am
Forum: feature_films Subject: Re: When are files going to be moved?

I've seen this on a couple of your other uploads too but the movies seem to play fine.

Reply [edit]

Poster: k-otic Date: Aug 31, 2009 9:07am
Forum: feature_films Subject: Re: When are files going to be moved?

it looks like that the dark parts are replaced with white ....well, as long as the video plays fine i don´t care .. it only looks ugly

Reply [edit]

Poster: Moongleam Date: Aug 31, 2009 7:41am
Forum: feature_films Subject: Re: When are files going to be moved?

I don't see a way to force re-deriving.

Reply [edit]

Poster: k-otic Date: Aug 31, 2009 8:53am
Forum: feature_films Subject: Re: When are files going to be moved?

Just click here

http://www.archive.org/item-mgr.php?identifier=Virus_movie

and click on Derive

Reply [edit]

Poster: Moongleam Date: Aug 31, 2009 10:13am
Forum: feature_films Subject: Re: When are files going to be moved?

O.K.

Reply [edit]

Poster: guyzilla Date: Aug 31, 2009 9:31am
Forum: feature_films Subject: Re: When are files going to be moved?

Moongleam, thanks for putting your version of "Virus" up and thanks for posting the link to it. I'll be downloading it shortly. Maybe all future uploads should be accompanied with a "please move" request with a link to it. Even though nothing is currently being moved in IA, that would bring at least some temporary attention to your uploads by giving those of us who visit this forum regularly a shot at downloading it when it first comes up.
This post was modified by guyzilla on 2009-08-31 16:31:52

Reply [edit]

Poster: billbarstad Date: Aug 31, 2009 9:01am
Forum: feature_films Subject: Re: When are files going to be moved?

That should tell you something is wrong. It did for me. Movies and trailers I had recently uploaded were reported out of sync, and I found that the IA's derivation routine was no longer compatible with the program I had been using for years to make files for upload. I switched to a proprietary program, and the problem was fixed. It's possible something similar happened here.

Reply [edit]

Poster: guyzilla Date: Aug 31, 2009 9:55am
Forum: feature_films Subject: Re: When are files going to be moved?

IA does seem to be going through some changes. For example, there's been some new sub-collections added to Feature Films. How much work was involved I can't say but I think it great if someone "in the know" like a staff member would enlighten us as to the changes that are happening here and how they affect how we do our uploads and get our files moved. I've noticed the uploader seems to have been changed to where it's the same proceedure no matter what size the file is.

Reply [edit]

Poster: Moongleam Date: Aug 31, 2009 11:11am

I wrote:
> Thumbnails have NOT been generated for this, which was uploaded last
> Thursday:

That should tell you that I know that something is wrong.

This site has had so many SNAFUs lately that it is logical to hypothesize that something is wrong with this site, not with my mpeg2 files, which are produced by mencoder (a well-respected program). These files are handled effortlessly by VLC, Windows Media Player, ffmpeg, ffplay, mplayer, and DVDAuthorGUI, which uses these files (without transcoding) to produce DVDs that will play in any DVD player.

I cannot believe that all of these programs and the old I.A. are wrong, and that the new I.A. is right. I.A. needs to resume doing this correctly.

Reply [edit]

Poster: guyzilla Date: Aug 31, 2009 11:37am
Forum: feature_films Subject: Re: When are files going to be moved?

I agree that something is wrong, definitely. But the question for me is...what is it? Things always have a reason, it's just that sometimes the reason isn't always clear.

Reply [edit]

Poster: billbarstad Date: Aug 31, 2009 11:42am
Forum: feature_films Subject: Re: When are files going to be moved?

The only constant is change. I deal with it.